At least once every year I can count on one of my children asking me.... "Mom, Why don't we have an angel for our tree?"
Then I get to reply..."Because someone else needed it more than we did."
Years ago an older woman lived alone in a small basement apartment near our home. She never married and never had children. She was alone. My children used to call her the candy lady because if they found her before church started on Sunday's she would always have candy in her pocket to share with the little kids in our ward. I know she was lonely and needed the attention and love those little children gave to her.
One year for Christmas we decided to decorate Connie's small apartment for Christmas. I went and bought her a tree, lights, some ornaments, and a few small gifts to open on Christmas morning. As we were busy decorating I realized that I had not bought anything to go on top of her Christmas tree. I went back home and got the angel topper off of our Christmas tree so that Connie's tree would be complete.
I have never replaced that angel. We have a semi-broken plastic star on the top on our thee this year, other years it remains empty. But without fail one of the kids will ask about the missing angel and I get to remind them of the year we gave it away.
2 comments:
Nancy!!!!! I just read your comment and freaked out! That's hilarious! Were you drawn to notice the crazy wild children waiting outside Downeast?! Ha ha ha! They were driving me BATTY while I was trying on some clothes so I forced Jason to watch them outside the store. :) I wish you HAD seen me though! And had been able to say hi!!! That would have been AWESOME!!! And I agree that we can relate. Also, I really just love that your daughter and I share a name. :) Good choice, mom! Hope you're having a Merry Christmas!! Maybe we'll run into each other for real while we're out shopping sometime soon!
You and your family are amazing...what great memories you are making and have made together. I want to be like you when I grow up.
Post a Comment