Thursday, July 9, 2009

Kids...They're so Funny!

Tyler and I were in the car today listening to the radio. Here's the conversation...

Ty: Who sings this song?

Me: It's Michael Jackson, he just died so I'm sure were gonna hear a lot of his songs lately.

Ty: Oh, yeah. I heard something about a Michael Jackson dying. I thought he was a relative of ours.

Me: You thought we were related to Michael Jackson?

Ty: Yeah

Me: Um, NO. He's a famous singer.

Ty: Oh, yeah. I think he came to my school once.

Me:Um, No Ty. He's like really famous. I don't think he visits school. He does like big concerts and stuff.

Ty: Well how old was he?

Me: He was 50.

Ty: Okay, the guy that came to my school was older than that.

Me: Oh good, I'm glad we have that settled.

I'm not a big Michael Jackson fan, but really my kids had never heard of him. Really? I was surprised. That was a "Generation gap" moment!

The following is a conversation that Emma and I had today...

Emma: Mom, I know you told me not to do this, but I did it anyway.

Me: What did you do?

Emma: I recycled. I washed out my go-gurt tube and put my money in it.

Me: Okay Emma, thanks for telling me.

Emma: Mom, could we recycle just a little bit. (Big Smile...) It saves the planet!

Me: Okay Emma, we can start recycling just a little.

Emma: Thanks Mom.

Interpretation...This means I have now agreed to let Emma save every little piece of garbage imaginable. She thinks recycling is using all your old garbage for things like...pencil holders, change receptacles, closet organizers, and everything else under the sun. She doesn't realize you separate papers, plastic, etc., and then have them picked up to be recycled SOMEWHERE ELSE. She even asked me if we could go to the dump and make stuff out of the garbage. NO! Sorry Em.

Todd learned a new word today, it's...LIAR. He says it so good. I was in an appointment today, and he kept repeating...Your a LIAR...Your a LIAR...over and over. I tried to explain that I was glad he was using his words so well, but liar is not a very nice word, and he needed to stop saying it. Yeah, that didn't work. Finally, I had to threaten him with soap, which I have never done before but, pleased to report that it worked. I haven't heard...Your a LIAR for a few hours.

Kids are funny.

9 comments:

Erin said...

What smart children you have! Emma is only six and she knows how to save the planet. Good job!

Ty Lyman said...

that is so hilarious. Look on the bright side, maybe she'll open a thrift shop of some kind and sell her "recycled" crap LOL.

I love that Ty is so knowledgeable. Very smart kids you have even if they say things they're not suppose too.

Kids are funny. Thanks for the phone conversation today :)

Call me Hehaw said...

Tell your kids to expect some letters soon. Just mailed them on Wednesday. Call me when they arrive so I can tell you something funny....

Bonnett Family said...

LOL, Emma sounds just like Kelsie. She still "recycles" things from around the house all the time. This morning I found her hording a toliet paper roll and a toothpaste box.

Someone else said...

Emma sounds exactly like my girls. They have wanted to "recycle" everything for years. I've held them off telling them that we just don't have the space here but now that we're moving to a bigger house they are already talking about all the "recycling" they are going to do. I'm not as thrilled as they are.

Ty Lyman said...

this comment is for KEN.

Did you really know that info about the milk cartons? Or were you just making all that up?

Nancy said...

Ha ha ha... I just made it up. It was late at night and I was hopped up on Pepsi and Ice Cream. Ken

Ty Lyman said...

Jake got a kick out of your reply...thanks so much for the laugh.

Candace said...

Hi Nancy, I just discovered your blog. Your family is too cute!