Friday, February 5, 2010

My Love Affair...

Today my Love affair with my computer will end...
I have found it more difficult to adjust to Ken going back to work than I originally thought. I thought when he went back I would be so much more productive. I would be in charge of my own schedule, therefore I would accomplish so much more with my 'extra' time.
I have found that I was wrong. Having Ken home for almost 7 months gave me freedom and flexibility that no longer exist. I am finding that it is much harder to accomplish anything productive. I have to try and cram cleaning, homework, phone calls, and bathing in between a very short window of opportunity called nap time.
The rest of my time is spent taking care of the needs of three little ones at home, running kids back and forth to school, making meals, cleaning up after meals, chauffeuring kids to activities, and making sure no one kills each other in the process. You all know what I'm talking about...it's just regular mom stuff. Only I'm not used to doing by myself quite yet. I used to be very proficient at it, and I trust that I will be again soon.
But....
that is why I have to take a break from the computer.
Having Ken gone has left me feeling lonely and craving some social interaction. So I've turned to the computer to feel the void...blogging, looking at blogs, or wasting time on the mind numbing facebook. I find myself being drawn to the computer hoping that I find a new comment on my blog, a new email, or some new scoop on facebook...anything to link me to the outside world...not exactly a healthy way to spend the day. It usually just ends up making me feel more...blah.
I've decided to take a two week break from the computer so I can reprioritize and get back on track. I need to find a routine that is both satisfying and productive. A routine that includes all the things I HAVE to do and some of the things I WANT to do like...exercising, having more quality time with the kids, and reading.
So, so long for a few weeks. I'll be back a healthier more productive me!

5 comments:

Jilly Bean said...

Okay! You're a babe for making that personal evaluation and having the gumption to take time off. I get sucked into my social connections on the computer too. You're a babe! Good luck and enjoy yourself and your "new" activities! A bientot!

Erin said...

I'm super impressed. I don't think I could live more than a week without my computer. Best of luck, and we look forward to your return!

Someone else said...

I know why you are doing this but I don't have to like it. I love reading your blogs and reading your comments on my blogs (I still need to learn to go to facebook more often.) I hope you find your zen, or more productive you, or what ever it is you are looking for. But know that you will be missed so don't stay away too long.

karijean said...

I am the same way with the computer (blogging, facebook) I'm glad I'm not the only one. In honor of you, I am going to try to not check my facebook 5 times a day and try and be more productive. thanks for the inspiration!

Ty Lyman said...

I have to say that i spend alot of my time the same way...although my comments really seem to ever change. I've heard that people are reading my blog because they mention something from it, but the dirty devils won't leave a stink'n comment. I also live on FB. Here in the hospital I feel that it is healthy. Being home and not being productive I do agree with you. it's not so healthy :) I do hope you get some of that socializing back in your life with your kids. You deserve it, just as much as they do :)....Hang in there and we'll see a little less of you when you come back to the online world :) Love you.