Sunday, August 23, 2009

Looking Back...

Eleven years ago today I was eating dinner at my sister's home. It was a Sunday evening, just like tonight. I had just finished eating some of her scrumptious roast. After dinner I remember saying, "Hmmm, I think I might be having contractions". But, really the thought was too good to be true, for our first little one was already a week overdue in making her appearance into this world. I began to think it would never really happen, I would just stay pregnant indefinitely. So, thoughts of labor were soon forgotten. Until...

Watching a movie a few hours later I felt the sudden urge to pee,  or so I thought. I raced out of my chair and into the bathroom. I didn't make it far enough before the dam broke. I began to yell for my sister or for Ken, but I guess everyone thought it was time for a snack break. Finally my little nephew popped his head into the bathroom. Please, go get your mom and Uncle Ken, I said. When they showed up in the bathroom staring at me, I explained that my water broke. My sister hooped and hollered, "Whew-wee...Tonight we're having a baby"!

Well, that wasn't exactly true. We were having a baby, but not that night. However, at least we were on our way to the hospital and there was an end in sight. It was 24 hrs. later. Sydney was born on Monday evening August 24, 1998. She weighed 8lbs. and she was beautiful.

Ken and I were so excited! And so scared! We were young, and although I thought I was completely prepared I soon found out that I had so much to learn. (Still do!) On the evening that Sydney came home from the hospital Ken and I both sat on our bed and cried. We were already so tired. Now we had a baby to take care of, and no nursery full of nurses to send her to when she cried. This was the beginning of a whole new world for us. After surviving that first night of..."Oh, No...what do we do now?!" We have never looked back, never regretted. What a blessing Sydney has been, as well as the six others that have followed in their big sisters footsteps.

Tomorrow my baby will turn 11. This will be my last year before she turns into a young women. She is growing so fast. I am proud of who she is. And I am excited for who she will become.

Happy Birthday, baby girl. You are a precious daughter of God, and on top of that you are sweet, and beautiful, and precious to me. Mommy loves you tons!

10 comments:

Candace said...

Happy Birthday, Sydney. You really are a great sister and a great girl!

Call me Hehaw said...

Happy 11th syd. You know that I think your the greatest! I hope you have a great day! We love ya lots.

LeAnn said...

Happy Birthday, Sydney!!! We hope you have a wonderful day! We love you SO much! You really are turning into a lovely young woman. Ashlee misses you and says hi and Happy Birthday as well.
Love, Aunt LeAnn

karijean said...

Happy Birthday Sydney! Time goes too fast! I can't believe she is 11! Jr. High next year!!!!

r said...

Great post, Nancy!

Happy Birthday, Sydney!

Julianna said...

Nancy, that was a really sweet post.

Syd, Happy, Happy Birthday!!

Jilly Bean said...

Happy birthday to Sydney and happy 11th mommy anniversary to you! I love your tribute to her.

Ann Yeaman said...

That's such a nice letter about your daughter. It was great to read!

Ty Lyman said...

That's crazy that it's been that long. Happy Birthday Sydney. Jake says to tell you Happy Birthday Australia :)

Rach said...

We sure miss you guys! Happy birthday Sydney! What a beauty...(just like her mom!)